Ahoy there, mateys! Are you interested in joining our crew to Treasure Your River?
Our rivers are the heart of our communities and are a treasured habitat for a huge range of animals and humans alike. We’re working with Hubbub, The Rivers Trust, and other partners around the UK to help keep our rivers in ship-shape and to stop litter reaching the seven seas.
With 80% of marine litter coming from land we need to work together to change behaviours and prevent litter from entering our waterways and streams.
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated on how you can get involved in Scotland.
Did you know that 90% of plastic in Scottish seas comes from Scottish littering on land? And that it's estimated 46% of the plastic entering the sea from the land on the east coast comes from the Forth catchment.
In Scotland we will be capturing litter from the Forth and its tributaries across Edinburgh, Fife, Falkirk, Clackmannanshire and Stirling. We are looking to work with schools, communities and businesses to raise awareness of this problem and tackle it head on. So, come Forth and make sure you sign up to our Clean Up Scotland newsletter to stay up-to-date on what the Treasure Your River crew will be up to and how you can get involved.
The Forth in Stirling
Kincardine Bridge crossing the Forth
The iconic Forth Rail Bridge
Keen to get started in your community?
- Organise a litter pick on your local river or tributary
- Complete a litter survey in your community to help us collect data on littering behaviours to target interventions.
- Follow us on social media and help share our messages - @KSBScotland @CleanUpScotland.
- Download and use our handy resources to promote responsible behaviours to your network and community
- Visit the Treasure Your River website to find out more about what you can do to prevent litter hitting the seven seas.